Hello

Hello

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Blueberry-Pear-Apple Puree for Baby (6+ months)




I absolutely love making food for my Baby Girl. It's fun for me, healthful for her, and she definitely likes my homemade creations better than the store-bought stuff.



Don't worry about having the exact measurements of ingredients. You might find that your baby prefers to have more or less of each fruit. For example, too many pears tend to give my baby the runs, too many apples stop her up, and blueberries...well let's just say they don't lose any of their color as they travel through her little body. TMI? Sorry. My point is that you should feel free to modify the amounts of the ingredients to suit your baby's needs and preferences. This particular ratio is a winner for my baby.



Also, if you want the puree to be thicker, use less water or just skip the water altogether. Keep in mind that adding water will make the puree more mild in taste (good for those tiny taste buds that don't prefer strong flavors).




Okay, I'm done rambling and over-complicating baby food! ;)

Here's how to do it:

Blueberry-Pear-Apple Puree for Baby (6+ months)

Yield: about 20 ounces 

12oz fresh blueberries 
3 pears 
2 apples
3/4 cup purified drinking water  

(The equipment I used: colander, metal steamer basket, sauce pan, Vitamix food processor, silicone ice trays, silicone spatula, ziplock freezer bags)

1. WASH/RINSE all fruit. 
2. STEAM the blueberries until soft (about 6 minutes). Meanwhile, peel, core and chop apples and pears into chunks.
3. DRAIN the blueberries in colander and place them in a bowl to cool. 
4. STEAM the apples and pears until soft (about 6 minutes). 
5. DRAIN apples and pears in colander and place in a bowl to cool. 
6. PROCESS all fruits together in a food processor, adding the water little by little until the puree reaches desired consistency (or just pour all the water in at once if you prefer).
7. POUR the puree into ice trays, using a spatula or spoon to scrape the puree into the trays (I like to get every little bit that I can!) and freeze (I let them freeze overnight).
8. POP the puree cubes out of ice trays and store in freezer bag for up to 3 months.

What food combos does your little one love? Please share your experiences with making baby food in the Comments section below!

No comments:

Post a Comment